본문 바로가기

처음으로
회원
회원소식

페이지 정보

작성자 탁영진 작성일20-11-04 15:23 조회1,446회 댓글1건

본문

Things I Wish I Knew Sooner…

I studied abroad in the United States about two years ago. I expected to see “state of the art” conceptions since that was how the media portrays the United States; the American dream had a big role in this. Once there, I realized the environmental policy in the U.S. was not quite“state of the art” as I expected. I reckon there should be more government action towards environmental issues, mainly because the United States holds a significant influence worldwide. However, I noticed one thing living in America: how independent and diverse thoughts and actions seemed on specific social issues. 

Spending almost my entire life in a small country, South Korea, I have seen people only doing the acts of sustainability because of the policy. With no understanding or critical thinking on the issue, just doing it because the government says so. For example, people in Korea would recycle just because they will get charged and have to pay a fine if they don’t. That is why seeing people in America making personal decisions and dedication to environmental issues was such a big thinking moment for me.

I would see some of the teachers at my old boarding school shop at a zero-waste grocery store with their containers to refill their groceries, which made me think about how I  have never seen people making actions like that growing up in Korea. It was crazy how people seem to practice thoughtful effort for the environment solely because they want to. Of course, I cannot tell how many people would do the same, or I might’ve just had thoughtful people around me while living in the United States. The point is understanding the issue, by researching independently and acknowledging how much impact the issue has on the planet, which is our home, might make a significant difference as a community.  We all should remind ourselves to take action on environmental issues because there is no Planet B, not just because we don’t want to be charged a fine by the government.  That is the way that would make an effective change.

I’m also still learning, and I wish I had known these issues sooner. Taking things the planet Earth provides for granted is a common problem we face as humans living in modern society.  We wish that we had known it sooner when it was too late. Before, I only wished we had known it sooner. Let us all wish to bring more awareness to the issue and make a change as a community. 

I sincerely hope more people realize the seriousness of environmental issues and decide to make efforts for the better. I firmly believe that we are all stronger than we think; we hold the power to make change much before we start wishing we’d known it better.

• 페이스북으로 보내기
  • 트위터로 보내기
  • 구글플러스로 보내기

댓글목록

심정미님의 댓글

심정미 작성일

놀랍고 감사합니다.
늘 실천하는 가족이 되도록 노력하겠습니다.

회원소식 목록

게시물 검색

X 이메일 무단수집거부
Copyright © KFEMJinju All rights reserved. 주소 : (52726) 경남 진주시 동진로 34, 7층 (경상국립대학교 칠암캠퍼스 정문 앞 7층)
이메일 jinju@kfem.or.kr 전화 : 055) 747-3800 | 055) 746-8700 | 팩스 : 055) 747-5882
모바일 버전으로 보기